Statewide Video Competition
Sponsored by the Senate of Pennsylvania with support from The Members of the Drug and Alcohol Service Providers Organization of Pennsylvania
The contest is open to Pennsylvania students in grades 6-12 and will be judged in two categories:
- Category #1–Middle school, grades 6 – 8
- Category #2– High School, grades 9 – 12
Prizes will be awarded in each category
1st place – $2500, 2nd place – $1500 and 3rd place – $1000
Our goal is to prevent further addiction. therefore, your original VIDEO entry must address the issue of preventing teens from starting drugs–legal and illegal–including alcohol.
- Students may submit one video entry no longer than 5 minutes.You decide the time you need to get your point across.
- You may work alone or in groups of no more than five students. If working in a group, students must identify one primary contact as the team leader, however all participating students must be identified on the official registration form.
- Student entries may be submitted with or without an adult advisor. Adult advisors must be recognized on the entry registration.
- Entries must be submitted using the registration form below.
Deadline for entry is: December 10, 2017.
- All dialogue, video clips, production and editing must be original and may only contain copyrighted content if appropriately cited.
- Entrants must credit all sources used to create the video documentary in the end credits of the video or in a separately submitted citation list.
- All students must be enrolled in either a public, private or home school program.
- All entries become the property of the Pennsylvania Senate. Entrants agree that submitting their video permits the Pennsylvania Senate to use, without any compensation, their names, likenesses and entries for promotional purposes. By submitting an entry, entrants represent that their entries constitute original works of creativity that do not violate the property rights of any other person, and grant the Pennsylvania Senate the right to exhibit, distribute, televise and otherwise use the entries in various media.
Prizes will be awarded in each age category in the following manner:
- One Semi-finalist will be recognized from each participating state senatorial district for each of the Middle School and High School categories. Home addresses will be utilized to determine a senatorial district. Semi-finalist videos will be posted on the senator’s website for public access. Address lookup for senatorial districts is available at: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/#address
- Winning videos may be posted on the Senate website.
- Winning videos may be made available to local news outlets.
- Finalists may be invited to the Senate chamber for recognition on the floor.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place winners will be selected from each of the two (middle and high school) categories.
- If any or all of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Place winning videos are submitted by a group, the students whose names appear on the official entry form shall receive an equal share of the total prize money for that category deposited into a TAP 529 Account in their name.
The Members of the Drug and Alcohol Service Providers Organization of Pennsylvania are providing $10,000 in prize money. Money will be awarded through the TAP 529 Account program in the PA Department of Treasury and will be deposited into an account in the winner(s) name.
- Effectiveness of message delivery
- Did you follow directions?
Entries will be judged by an independent panel of judges, and will not include any Pennsylvania Senators. Immediate relatives of Senators and their staff are ineligible to participate. Judges will be announced closer to the competition deadline.
In order to complete your registration for the statewide video competition, the following form must be completed and submitted.